Thursday, September 22, 2005

The New Fall Season - Tuesday & Wednesday:
The three of you who read this blog may have noticed that it's not so much daily of late. But it's still a damn sight more frequent than it used to be.

My Name is Earl: If this is the best new comedy of the season, than the season is definitely going to be a touch on the boring side. Not that this is a bad show. In fact, I'll definitely keep watching it. Jason Lee is terrific... the rest of the cast are as well, but Lee steals the show. There were several laugh-out-loud moments for me, most especially Earl's assumption that Carson Daly invented karma. It's just... it seems a bit conventional, especially when compared to the few sitcoms I really enjoy, like Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development and Scrubs.

The Office: I know some people hate this American remake on general principles, but I started watching because I like Steve Carell and kept watching because I like the rest of the cast. It's not a great show, but it's a solidly-executed comedy, and definitely the best adaptation of a BBC show attempted by American TV. Not that this is saying too much, given that the competition includes Men Behaving Badly and the reportedly godawful American version of Coupling, which I quite liked in its original BBC form.

Bones: Haven't watched the second episode yet, which should indicate where it falls on my "must see TV" list (hint: It ain't at the top), but the chemistry between Boreanaz (who I really liked in this role, much to my surprise) and Deschanel (who I really like, although if it were her sister Zooey in the role, I'd probably be glued to the TV every Tuesday) is good, the procedural elements solid enough and the writing basically good enough. No competition from other shows in the timeslot, plus free time enough for me to watch it, means I'll keep up, at least for a little while.

Lost: I was not one of those disappointed by the end of season one last year. I loved this show from start to finish, and wasn't really surprised or pissed off that we didn't see what was at the bottom of the hatch on the finale. Especially given that the way what *is* at the bottom was revealed in the opening minutes of this episode, giving me a "huh. That's pretty cool" reaction and leaving plenty of mysteries still to come even while serving up answers. I really missed having Sawyer on the island, and I'm afraid that I still don't care all that much about Shannon, but otherwise the show is humming along nicely. Very solid opener, and I'm back in the "what's gonna happen next?" mode with this show. Which is gonna suck next week, when Veronica Mars takes over it's timeslot in my Tivo. Thank goodness for friends with DVR and a Lost addiction so that I can catch up every Friday.

Invasion: Was really curious to see this, and then stupidly forgot to set the Tivo for it. So I guess I'll catch it when the rerun of the pilot hits a week from Saturday.

No comments: