Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Daily Show & Evolution:
So I've just finished watching the week of shows in which The Daily Show looks at the debate between "intelligent design" and evolution, and while I realized that this was actually going on, I must say I'm a bit stunned. Seriously, we're still talking about this? Isn't it the 21st century? I've gotten over that we don't have our flying cars, but you're telling me there are still some people, possibly a majority, who DON'T BELIEVE IN FUCKING EVOLUTION?

You know, I get it... the whole faith thing. I do. Believe what you want to believe. Believe that evolution is a process guided by God, that's OK. Believe that God baked you up in the kitchen in Heaven with sugar and spice and everything nice, and that he put cows on the Earth so you could have a juicy T-Bone when you're hungry. But don't teach that unless you've got some scientific evidence and theory to back it up. Is evolution right? I dunno. Nobody does. Kind of the point of the scientific method. But it's a reasonable theory that's been tested.

Really, the best argument for evolution... is the people who don't believe in it! Clearly, some of us still have a ways to go in terms of developing higher cognitive function.

Some may find that insulting, I understand. I just... I don't get it. To me, you're basically pitting a theory in which we've got disease, congenital defects, infant deaths and a random but inevitable end programmed into our bodies as part of the flaws of an immensely complex natural order versus "Here's a nice bearded man who built an ocelet!" Sure, one is simpler... but as anyone who actually lives in the real world knows, life ain't simple. Why should the evolution of life be any different?

No comments: