Sunday, July 27, 2008

San Diego Day 4

Woke up around 4:30 AM when Dean told me I was "snoring like a freight train." Felt bad, also felt sleepy, rolled over and went back to sleep. Was assured by Dean later that I did not in fact snore all night, but just for a while, apparently very loudly.

Got up around 8, did the quick check-out, packed all my stuff and checked the extra luggage. I left my key in the room, and planned to come back, as usual, just to grab a taxi to the airport around 2 or 2:30. I grabbed a cheese danish and coke (breakfast of champions!) from the next door deli, got on the shuttle almost immediately, got in line for the Always Sunny in Philadelphia panel, got into that and even got one of the orange tickets for free swag.

The panel started at 10:30, so I had about an hour to wait, which I spent Twittering and checking the web via wireless on iPod. Thank you, Eagle Eye, for the invaluable (if occasionally spotty) wireless at the Con. As for whether or not I'll see Eagle Eye as a result? Well, I like the premise, Michelle Monaghan and free wireless Internet. Not really a fan of Shia Labeouf, the writers are mostly untested (and working on The Warriors and Clash of the Titans remakes, neither of which I'm real excited about). The director did the well-regarded Labeouf vehicle Disturbia, but more importantly directed four episodes of The Shield... so I'll probably give the movie a look, based on the free wireless tipping the scales, although probably on DVD. See, advertising works! Sort of.

Anyway, at about 10:25, they started up a few movie trailers, and I started fidgeting with my wedding ring, as I often do. Or rather, I began fidgeting with the empty finger where my wedding ring would have been, had I not left it on the nightstand of the hotel. Panicked, I called Dean, who thankfully was still in the room, thankfully found my wedding ring, and brought it with him to the show.

The Always Sunny panel was great, they showed a new (and hilarious) episode, announced the fourth season starting in September and then brought out Charlie Day, Rob McElhenny and Glenn Howerton, along with moderator Damon Lindelof. Lindelof was an awesome moderator, the guys were funny and the fan questions were actually pretty good. It was probably the best panel I saw at Comicon this year.

Left that panel, got my free Always Sunny T-Shirt, picked up my wedding ring from Dean (not in that order), bought Cora from Ted Mathot, did some buying for the store, roamed the floor until about 1:00, then said goodbyes to a few folks and headed out. I thought maybe I'd have time to grab a bowl of clam chowder at Anthony's Fishette, but I was nervous about getting to the airport on time, plus the shuttle left at 2:00, about 5 minutes after I got back to the hotel, so I decided to grab food at the airport.

Which was a mistake, of course. I've been spoiled by the Austin airport, which is actually kind of a nice place to hang out in, and has some local restaurant representation. The Southwest terminal in San Diego is a bit ratty (and under construction), and my choices were Quizno's (not really a fan) and Pizzeria Uno. Chose pizza, which was kind of bleh. For $10, I got a bleh pepperoni pizza and a warm Coke. Yep, I really regretted that choice not to get the clam chowder. Especially since I had plenty of time, and our flight departure was delayed by about 15 minutes anyway.

Ran into Paul Benjamin at the airport, who was on the same flight. Since Southwest has open seating, we managed to sit together and talk about a variety of things on the way back, making for a very pleasant flight. At the airport, I was greeted by my parents and (surprise!) a very hyper Katy, who was almost as happy to see me as I was to see her. Grabbed the luggage (quick unload by the Austin airport staff), got in the car, drove home.

Had to send a quick email to the landlord for the comics shop, as the A/C unit went on the fritz during the weekend, which means it's immediately back to work for me tomorrow, no nice leisurely sleep in until early afternoon and then go in kind of thing.

Final thoughts on show coming either tomorrow or never, depending on my inclination to do more writing. ;)

No comments: