Sunday, July 13, 2008

Bible as elective

So I saw this: Bible class guidelines constitutional, AG says

First thought: Well, duh. It's Texas.

Second: Actually, I don't have a *huge* problem with this, even though I have major problems with organized religion in general. They are elective courses, and that's the most important thing... if students are in any way required to take these, even in a "not enough viable elective choices" way, then I'll get upset. But allowing students with faith (or a curiosity about faith?) to learn about the Bible in school? Hey, I guess I'm cool with that. I mean, I'd think most church-goers already know these lessons, and might want to spend their valuable free education time on coursework where they don't already know all the answers, but hey, y'know, whatever.

My biggest concern is that these classes are going to be more of a religious indoctrination, rather than teaching the Bible the way that we teach, say, Greek mythology or Mayan culture. Teaching it as a non-denominational, non-judgmental, examination of the good, the bad and the ugly of The Bible and Christianity and how it has been interpreted and misinterpreted over the years. Cover the Crusades as well as the soup kitchens, the Salem witch trials as well as the power of prayer.

Do I think this is how it will be taught? No, as I said, it's Texas. So while I may not have a *huge* problem with it in theory, I have plenty of concern about it in practice. But I'll be perfectly fine with it up until the point where the class or its teachings interfere with my children and my life.

1 comment:

M. Robert Turnage said...

I have no problem with a program like this because most Christians don't read the Bible and have no idea what it really says. The hardcore will take this course in hopes of an easy A and find out that their church leaders have been lying to them since Day One. Then they will have a crisis of faith.

I don't like anyone interpreting written words for me. Whenever the source document is available, I go to that.