Sunday, January 07, 2007

Graphic Novel A Day: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Writers: L. Frank Baum, David Chauvel & Kat Amano
Artist: Enrique Fernandez
Company: Image Comics
Price: $9.99 ($9.99 at Amazon)

I've never read the original Oz books, but given the way the property has been translated into comics, I'm really thinking I ought to. First there was Shanower's fantastic Adventures of Oz, and now we have this translated graphic novel, which is a faithful enough comic book adaptation to have Baum's name in the credits. It's a wonderfully engaging tale, sweet and fun and adventurous, and Fernandez's lush painted artwork reminds me of the first time I saw Scott Morse's stuff. Oh, and $10 is an insanely cheap price for this package, which is oversized, 90+ pages and on really nice quality paper. Kudos to Image for great packaging and pricing.

No comments: