Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Graphic Novel A Day: Vertigo

Fables Vol. 8: Wolves
Writer: Bill Willingham
Artist: Mark Buckingham, Shawn McManus, Steve Leialoha & Andrew Pepoy
Company: DC/Vertigo
Price: $17.99 ($12.23 at Amazon)

Every volume of Fables is good, but this one holds the unusual distinction of being an ending of sorts for the series. Don't get me wrong, the book is still going, and is still excellent, but the resolution of the Bigby-Snow White story brings with it a lot of closure type moments, and so the whole thing could easily be read as the last issue of the series. It's a very satisfying resolution, with Bigby getting a number of badass moments, plenty of teary reveals and relationship turning points and, as a bonus, an issue where Cinderella goes on a spy mission for the kingdom.

100 Bullets Vol. 10: Decayed
Writer: Brian Azzarello
Artist: Eduardo Risso
Company: DC/Vertigo
Price: $14.99 ($10.64 at Amazon)
On the other hand, we have 100 Bullets, which has slowly declined in my eyes with each volume. I really think this book should have gone the 60 issues and out route, because we're on issue 75 as of this volume and I'm done. Decayed is a particularly appropriate title, as a once promising and gripping noir has become repetitive in structure, confusing as hell in terms of story and laden with way too many characters. The atmosphere is still dead-on perfect, thanks to Risso's gorgeous art and Azzarello's oftentimes filthy, distinctive dialogue, but the story... I'm at a loss. I don't care anymore about the Trust, the Minutemen, etc. etc. Maybe if I reread all the issues, it'd make more sense and I'd be back to caring, but I can't quite care enough to go back and do so. I think I'm done, leaving me with 10 volumes of a series I'll probably never reread as a result.

No comments: