Thursday, June 05, 2008

I Still Have Hope

A lot of folks were celebrating about the Obama nomination in the past couple days. I was glad to see it, but more from a "Thank God it's over" point of view. The enthusiasm that led me to stand in the streets of Austin with a bunch of strangers, waiting for hours to see a politician speak, had dimmed quite a bit with the long primary fight.

But when I read the accounts of Frank Sesno and T.D. Jakes, that hopeful feeling returns. I remember that Obama, flawed as he may be as a real person, represents something. Win or lose, this is a momentous event in our country's history. I'm still cynical enough that I don't believe entirely in the one America Obama is selling. There are some Americans who I do not wish to share a country with. Our worldviews are too different, they hate too much that I love, for me to be able to think of them as true countrymen. But I remember, when I read pieces like the ones above, or see Obama make one of his speeches, that maybe, just maybe, there are more of "us" than there are of "them." And maybe that will only continue to get better as time goes on.

No comments: