Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Blog Template Update for February

This is the latest monthly update to the left column of the blog, updating my favorite comics and TV for the previous month. The listings are alphabetical, not by rank of how much I liked them in comparison. My criteria for what makes the list is when I read them, not necessarily when they were published.

February was a busy month, just like January. It looks like 2007 just might be a busy year. I finally finished buying the comics & game shop, meaning I could finally announce it here and elsewhere. So I am now, as I write this, the owner of Rogues Gallery Comics & Games and have been for about a week and a half. How's it going? Pretty well, actually, and I'll be writing occasional bits about it here under the title "Adventures in Retailing." This goes along with my other series "Graphic Novel A Day" and "Weekly Comics to Come." Wow, themed content and titles... it's like I'm becoming a real blogger. Only without the wit of people who are good at it, like Graeme McMillan or Heidi MacDonald.

The Graphic Novel a Day feature slid a bit this month, due to two weeks of intense pressure and work around the time the comic shop buying really solidified. But I came back at the end of the month, cheating to put up about six or so reviews and spacing them out across days. The end result? 28 days in February, 14 graphic novels. OK, so it was more like "Graphic Novel Every Other Day," but that's not awful. At any rate, I'll try to do better in March, but with the business going, I'm not making any promises.

Comics-wise, as expected February was kind of a lame month. I didn't have to eliminate anything to make my Top 20, and in a stronger month, some of my Top 20 might not have made the cut. But looking at what I read this month, it's clear that the DC Universe and Marvel Universe have about equal interest for me (with 3 titles each), Vertigo also has 3, Image has 3 (2 by Kirkman, who also represents one of my Marvel books), Oni has 2, Dark Horse has 1, Archaia has 1 and DC and Marvel both have 2 non-continuity titles each. So DC, by virtue of having the Vertigo imprint, is the publisher I read the most of (with 8 titles), but mostly my reading was all over the place.

February was a good month for TV, as almost everything was new, but a bad month in that I realized that a lot of my favorite shows are losing their hooks in me. Studio 60 is probably done, and while I enjoyed what I watched, I have to say I won't be too sorry to see it go, although I hope we get something else by Sorkin as a replacement if it does go away. It's flawed, but there's still a lot I like about it. 24 has fallen into a predictable pattern, but I still enjoy it for all of that. Scrubs has been kind of weak, but with occasional good moments. Battlestar Galactica is in a slump, but it hasn't turned me off yet. And Lost? I'd been digging it more than most, especially the Desmond episode, but the episode tonight (with Hurley) was cute but ultimately empty, and made me realize just how long the writers have been dragging this whole thing out. Veronica Mars is up and down (although the two-parter with the murdered coach was pretty good) and had a pretty lackluster, rushed and unsatisfying conclusion to its second arc, Rome I'm about four episodes behind on. I'm sure I'll catch up later, but right now I'm not wildly enthusiastic, which isn't a great sign.

On the other hand... Heroes has just been getting better and better, and I'm completely hooked on it now. Episode 17, "Company Man" was easily the strongest episode of the series yet. 30 Rock has also really won me over, and the negotiations/sex-addicted agent/Jenna making a political fool of herself episode from last week was brilliant. The Office has really hit a groove with its last few episodes as well. And I rented How I Met Your Mother on DVD, watched the entire first season, and I'm now working through the second. It's not great, but it's about as good as Friends was at about the midway point, which makes it a solid comedy. CBS, you are no longer dead to me. Just mostly dead. Also pleased to see that NBC is planning on releasing the complete Kidnapped series on DVD, although at an outrageously high price point. Thank God for Netflix, I guess.

My novel for February was Fletch's Moxie. I didn't so much read it yet. So much for novel of the month.

I added only two sites to my regular RSS feeds this month. I updated Jeff Parker's blog to his new location and added the Netflix New Releases queue.

No comments: