Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Daylight Savings Time is fucking with me:
I actually love Daylight Savings Time. It gets warmer, and it stays light out until almost 9:00? Great barbecuing weather, and there's plenty of time to play outside with Katy, which makes her happy. Can't be mad at that.

But... my whole internal clock has been thrown out of whack. It's 2:20 and my body still thinks it's about 1:30, and that means I shouldn't be in bed yet, even though I've been up for the same amount of time. Which is fine, except that I really need more sleep right now, because when I'm not rested, I worry more, and I've got too much to worry about right now.

I wish I had a fast forward button so I could just kind of skip ahead and see where everything winds up in a couple months. See, we're in the process of buying a house, and everything is going more or less fine, but anyone who has ever bought a house knows what a pain in the ass the process is. There's the loan, the money down, the inspection, the repairs you want to do before you move in and of course selling the old house so the money works out. We got approved for a loan early on, got money down on-loan from Suzanne's very generous parents and the inspection was mostly OK, albeit a little nerve-wracking when you see what's wrong with a 30-year-old house (we're selling one that's 50 years old... I'm terrified about what our potential buyers will find and want us to fix).

Except... today we were told that what we'd worked out about the loan wasn't exactly the case, and now we need to sell the old house before we buy the new one. Which would be a neat trick, since we close on the new house in about three weeks and haven't even put the old one on the market yet. It's sure as hell not clean enough to show right now, as my office, and plenty of other rooms in the house, are cluttered as hell with my stuff. So now we have to try and figure out a way around, and though it looks like that's being taken care of, it's another thing to worry about.

Other things I'm worrying about: No more Grande, back to Time Warner (and I liked having Grande). Reconnecting gas and electric, always a pain. Moving furniture and paying movers. Packing. Changing home insurance to the new house. Changing addresses with everybody who sends me mail. What if no one buys our house? How much is the new carpet going to cost in the new house? How much are the monthly payments going to be? And on and on, a million tiny anxieties just nagging at my brain at all hours. Worse when it's night-time, and then they keep me from sleeping, which is all even easier when my brain is convinced I should be awake anyway.

Long term, I really do think everything will be OK. New house that we really like, money for savings and home improvement when we sell our house... but in the short term, the worry is driving me nuts. The timing could be better, too, as I'm also worried about comic trivia (coming up on April 22nd), and I'll probably be remarkably stressed for both my birthday (April 17th) and our vacation in Port Aransas in May.

No comments: