Thursday, January 22, 2009

Weekly Comics - January 21, 2009

Guardians of the Galaxy #9 (Great use of Jack Flag, good to see Star-Lord again, and I love the last page capper.)

Mighty Avengers #21 (Slott has some really good ideas, like Jarvis as heart of the Avengers, and I like the unusual makeup of the team (except Hulk - does that trick ever work?), but I hate that Hank Pym is on a recursive redemption arc because of one badly-written story that should have been retconned out long ago, I'm bored stiff by the choice of villain and I think Khoi Pham's art is severely uneven. Sadly, my mixed reaction *still* means this was my favorite Avengers title in years, save the not-really Avengers Initiative.)

Mysterius the Unfathomable #1 (Lots of fun, beautifully illustrated, kind of like Doctor Who if he were a magician instead of a Time Lord)

Street Fighter Legends Chun Li #1 (Surprisingly fun, great car chase sequence, nice to see a Street Fighter comic that isn't another rehash of the origins of Ken, Ryu, Sagat and Bison)

Thunderbolts #128 (Fantastic issue, nice use of Obama, *great* fun seeing Norman Osborn as scheming, capable villain and I love the new Thunderbolts team - maybe better than the latter half of Ellis's run.)

Tiny Titans #12 (Amusing as always, and Darkseid the lunch lady/temporary principal was worth the price of admission all by itself)

Uncanny X-Men Annual #2 (Well, I don't really think Fraction captured early Emma Frost, I don't particularly like the Namor/Frost relationship, I don't like the retconning, I don't like her being in the Dark Reign cabal and I wasn't wild about the art. Other than that, not too bad. Which is to say: Blech. Hope we won't be getting more of this kind of thing now that Frost has been brought into the Marvel Universe more, but I'm afraid we will)

X-Men Legacy #220 (Really enjoyed this, actually. I'm a fan of Rogue, but she hasn't been used well in the last, uh, 15 years or so, and this was a step in the right direction. Also like the Xavier/Gambit interaction, and while I'm not thrilled to see the villain who showed up at the end, I like Carey's take on her/it thus far.)

No comments: