Wednesday, July 26, 2006

This is a bit late, since I was in San Diego until Monday, but here's the rundown of what I got this week. It's a pretty good week to follow up a really good Con, and July has easily been the best month for comics of 2006. It's gonna be really tough picking out a Top 20 issues and Top 10 graphic novels this month, and I know some really good comics are going to wind up not making the cut thanks to the competition.

ALREADY READ:
Astro City Samaritan Special (Great single issue story about Samaritan's interaction with his archenemy... hadn't realized how much I missed this book until I read this issue)
Batman #655 (I'm not entirely sure what I just read... Kubert's art is disappointing, and Morrison's first issue is a little weak... but the first issue of All-Star Superman was a little weak too, and that turned into one of my favorite books)
Birds Of Prey #96 (Another solid issue of Birds of Prey)
Black Plague One Shot (Really more of a setup for a miniseries than a self-contained story, but interesting... and nice art)
Captain America #20 (Terrific art, good action, really enjoying the guest-starring roles of Union Jack and Spitfire)
Captain America Red Menace Vol 1 Tp (Unless they do a hardcover collecting Brubaker's Cap, I definitely see trade purchases in my future)
Casanova #2 (Bizarre, hilarious and gorgeous to look at)
Civil War Young Avengers & Runaways #1 (Surprisingly good, with nice art by Caselli and a good superhero story by Zeb Wells. Cringed my way through the Civil War parts, but the actual writing on the characters is spot-on)
Daredevil #87 (Fantastic. This book now lands solidly amongst my favorite Marvel comics of the moment, thanks to a terrific issue)
Exiles #84 (Decent transition into the next Exiles story, Bedard continues to deliver solid old school superheroics)
Fear Agent #6 (Really wishing the book came out more quickly, but each issue has great art and terrific science-fiction action)
Godland #12 (The first story arc concludes with giant cosmic action sequences, and it's a blast)
Jack Of Fables #1 (Really good opener to the Fables spinoff, with nice art and the intriguing return of a familiar face)
Love As A Foreign Language Omnibus Vol 1 Tp (I've read and enjoyed all of J. Torres/Eric Kim's cross-cultural romance tale, and this all-in-one digest is a nice package)
Polly & Pirates Vol 1 Tp (Adventure, humor and spectacular art courtesy of Ted Naifeh... actually better than Courtney Crumrin, which wouldn't have seemed possible)
Previews #26.8 (Down the Line should hit sometime next week)
Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane #8 (Finally back to Takeshi Miyazawa art, and the Gwen Stacy storyline)
Toupydoops #3 (Continues the fine tradition of the first two issues, funny and imaginative)

HAVEN'T READ:
Castle Waiting Vol II #1 (A big, thick issue, but at this point, Castle Waiting is on "trades only" probation from me thanks to its constant disappearance from the shelves in mid-story)
Lucifer Vol 10 Morningstar Tp (More or less buying it to finish out a story I've invested a lot of time in, hope the ending brings me back around)

No comments: