Friday, January 06, 2006

Weekly Comics to Come - January 11, 2006:

ALREADY READ:
Amazing Joy Buzzards Vol 2 #4 (Jim Mahfood, Dave Crosland and possibly the funniest AJB story yet with "Mars Needs Kittens" So far, my favorite read of stuff coming out next week... and that includes Fables)
Daughters Of The Dragon #1 (Quirky, fun, nice art... except for the incongruous dark tone of the last four pages, I thought this was a great first issue. With this and Jonah Hex, Palmiotti and Gray are moving up my "must read" list again)
DMZ #3 (First arc seems a bit abrupt, but the general vibe of the book is still one I really like, and the art is terrific)
Exiles #75 (Recently read the last year or so of this book, and Bedard is doing great stuff with the characters, reminding me why I liked the book in the first place. This starts the tour of the 2099 universe. Old school Marvel fun with a touch of the fun "failures" of the '80s and '90s like the New Universe and 2099)
Fables #45 (Concludes the Arabian Fables story, and is, as always, great. One of the top five series being produced in comics today)
She-Hulk 2 #4 (Also old school Marvel fun, with a flashback that explores Geoff Johns's kinda lame "Search for She-Hulk" story and makes it fit into Slott's lighter toned She-Hulk series. The Avenger brought back at the end is not the one I'd hoped, but it's still a good one)
X-men The 198 #1 (Well-written, but I think it points up a lot of the problems with only having 198 mutants. Morrison's direction for these books seemed so much more interesting and full of potential)

HAVEN'T READ:
Star Wars Republic #81 (Huh. I thought #80 was the last issue. At any rate, Dark Horse's Star Wars comics have been really good of late)
Super Bad James Dynomite #1 ('70s funk parody from the Wayans Brothers. Looks fun)
Ultimate X-men #66 (I could be wrong, but I think this is Robert Kirkman's first issue)
Vampirella Revelations #2 (I know, I'm shocked too, but I really enjoyed #0 and #1, so I want to see what happens next)

No comments: