Thursday, June 11, 2009

Weekly Comics - June 10, 2009

Batman #687 (Retreads a little ground from Battle for the Cowl, and I'm no huge fan of Benes' art, but giving Winick the emotional transition and the nuts and bolts stuff, and letting Morrison handle the big action and fun, is pretty good editorial direction. So far the "Batman: Reborn" plan is looking solid)

Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter #1 (Beta Ray Bill gets to be a badass, and I couldn't be happier about it. Silver Surfer could use a bit of a punitive cosmic beating for going back to finding planets for Galactus to eat)

Buck Rogers #1 (The choice of adversary is beyond weird, and the flash-forward/flashback structure makes the whole thing choppy, but nice art, interesting opener)

Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers #2 (Remarkably fun, great art. I'll be buying the trade)

Red Robin #1 (Yost has some worrying tendencies toward lurid brutality in his comics which lurk at the edges here, but this is a pretty interesting take on Tim Drake, giving him a little bit more of a driven edge, putting him on a more expansive globe-trotting mission and upgrading his costume and equipment to make him his own man. It's a transformation of the character who I actually liked pretty well as he was, but I like the transformation and it makes sense given all the writers have put him through)

Uncanny X-Men #511 (I can't help but think this would be a better book with a different artist, and a clearer explanation of just who/what the hell The Sisterhood was... but it's still the best Uncanny X-Men has been in many years)

Uncanny X-Men First Class Giant-Size #1 (Not sure how a bunch of writers I really like working on a bunch of characters I really like could misfire this badly, but... yeesh. Couldn't even get through it.)

The Unwritten #2 (OK, first issue was good, second issue is better. I think I might have my next Vertigo series to buy in trade, if the third issue improves on that)

The Walking Dead #62 (The last one was so dark it almost put me off, but I wanted to give this one a quick flip-through and it's actually even darker. I think I'd be more interested if there was an ending ahead, but it's rapidly becoming "What shitty thing happens to the characters this month?")

No comments: