Sunday, June 07, 2009

Excited after E3

For the longest time, I haven't been able to play first-person shooters. I could play for maybe 45 minutes and the result was that I'd be uncomfortably nauseous for the rest of the night. So I had to avoid a lot of great games. I tried a variety of things, like anti-nausea medication, but nothing fixed the essential problem that my brain knew I wasn't moving but my body couldn't figure it.

Finally, one came out that was sort of a deal-breaker for me, and that was Left 4 Dead. I had to play it, and I decided I'd risk the nausea. What I discovered is that if I played in a well-lit room, a bit back from the TV, I could play the game for a couple of hours with no real problems. Which was definitely do-able. Bolstered by that experience, I decided to try Call of Duty 4 (which I loved) and The Orange Box (which I'm liking as well). I find I can't play them that long, maybe only an hour, hour and a half at a stretch, but that's about as much free time for videogames than I generally get anyway.

All of which is preamble to say that I can now fully look forward to Modern Warfare 2, and here's a gameplay clip that has me pumped for the game:



There's also Beatles Rock Band, Brutal Legend, Batman: Arkham Asylum and of course, Left 4 Dead 2. It's going to be an expensive Fall and Winter for me.

No comments: