Monday, December 01, 2008

Weekly Comics to Come - Three Weeks' Worth

Wow, I've been neglecting this blog. Haven't posted in over a week. Hopefully I'll be able to remedy that soon. At any rate, here's my last three weeks of comics buying/reading:

Week of December 4th
TOP FIVE
Criminal 2 #7 (This series continues to delight, and even though I think it reads better in trades, I haven't slipped to trade-only reading with it because I can't wait that long)
Hellboy Wild Hunt #1 (More Mignola-Fegredo should be good, as I thought their previous team-up was the best Hellboy had been in years)
Proof Vol 2 TP (This book has fallen into trade-only reading for me, but I am anxiously awaiting reading the trade, based on the issues I had read)
Supergirl Cosmic Adventures In The 8th Grade #1 (All-ages friendly Supergirl. Great idea, love the creative team, can't wait to read this to my daughter)
X-men Noir #1 (Looks like fun, actually. A weird sort of concept, but promising)

THE REST
Marvels Eye Of Camera #1 (I don't really believe Busiek can re-capture the Marvels magic, but I have to see if I'm wrong)
Wasteland Book 3 TP (Another "trade only" read for me, and I'm anxious to see what I've been missing)

Week of November 26th

TOP FIVE
Guardians Of Galaxy #7 (Great last-page reveal, nice status quo shake-up, the usual great art and moment-to-moment writing)
Nova #19 (Also a great status quo shake-up, also nice art, love the use of the aliens)
Secret Invasion X-Men #4 (Surprisingly good X-Men mini, despite the Secret Invasion tie-in)
Umbrella Academy Dallas #1 (Great opener. Actually stronger than the opener for the last series)
Walking Dead #55 (Really digging this book right now. Love the new characters, and that ending is a heartbreaker)

THE REST
Incredible Hercules #123 (Remains one of the most fun Marvel comics at the moment)
Mesmo Delivery Vol 1 TP (Beautiful art, strange story, a great read)
Mouse Guard Winter 1152 #4 (Music in comics is a pet peeve of mine, but even with that, it's just good to see this book again)
Warhammer 40k Exterminatus #5 (Pretty solid finale to another impressive Warhammer outing from Boom!)
Welcome To Hoxford #4 (Haven't gotten around to reading it, but I'll probably just wait, since I know I'm buying the trade and that'll make the ending a surprise)
X-men First Class Band Of Brothers TP (Upon re-reading, remembered why I have such a fondness for this book, even if it's dimmed a bit of late)

Week of November 19th

TOP FIVE
Crogans Vengeance HC (Fantastic. Beautiful cartooning, excellent (but not overwhelming) research, good characters, one of the best graphic novels I've read all year, and super-ambitious)
Dynamo 5 #18 (Another solid superhero outing)
Fables Vol 11 War And Pieces TP (Good conclusion to the series. Yeah, I know it continues, but I *might* be done with buying the trades as of this issue, as it's such a good stopping point)
Uncanny X-men #504 (This has been really good of late, and I actually could see myself buying it in trade, the first mainstream X-Men I will have bought in years. Dodson really stepped up with his art here, too)
Walking Dead Vol 4 HC (Wow, the brutality of this arc comes into even sharper relief when you read the issues preceding it with all the proper dread)

THE REST
Love And Capes TP (Thom Zahler's fun superhero romance gets a swanky-looking trade)
Thunderbolts #126 (Not the slam-bang opener I was hoping for, but solid enough to keep me reading for a couple more issues)

No comments: