Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Blog Update for January 2008

This is the latest monthly update to the left column of the blog, updating my favorite comics and TV for the previous month. The listings are alphabetical, not by rank of how much I liked them in comparison. My criteria for what makes the list is when I read them, not necessarily when they were published. This is basically also my own records of what I read/liked for the inevitable "End of Year" lists I feel like making.

The writer's strike is over, so my favorite TV shows will return, although it's a pretty sad and pathetic little list at the moment, so not this month. Right now I'm enjoying Torchwood (season 1 on DVD), Friday Night Lights (I haven't seen the last three eps, but by all accounts it got better and more than likely won't come back, so I'll go ahead and finish it out), The Sarah Connor Chronicles (even if I'm not wild about it, I'm engaged enough to watch) and Lost (the first two episodes of season four were great and amazingly jaw-droppingly mind-blowing, respectively).

In comics, Marvel sort of ran away with my favorites again, with 9 of the Top 20. Of course, one of those is a cancelled book, three are miniseries and one is a one-shot, so I'm still unsure about their 2008 prospects. DC has 4, 2 Vertigo (both books that are ending or over), 1 out-of-continuity (The Spirit, also over, at least for me) and 1 out-of-continuity DC Universe (a limited series). So Marvel still has the edge in terms of shared superhero universes for me. As far as the other 7 books, there are 2 Image (Dynamo 5 and Fell), 2 Dark Horse (Buffy and Grendel) and then 1 each from Devil's Due, IDW and Boom! Almost making the cut this month were 2 Dark Horse (BPRD 1946 #1 and Usagi Yojimbo #109), 1 Boom! (North Wind #1), 1 Image (Proof #4), 1 Red 5 (Atomic Robo #4), 1 Adhouse (Johnny Hiro #3), 1 Vertigo (Northlanders #2) and three Marvel (Captain America #34, Fantastic Four #553 and Marvel Adventures Iron Man #9).

Most of my leisure time that would have been spent blogging, reading comics and watching TV has gone to playing Rock Band and Burnout Paradise on the XBox 360. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.

No comments: