Thursday, December 26, 2019

Best of 2019 - Food

Last year I ate out about 275 times. This year it was a little closer to 280, so slightly up but not all the way up to how many times I ate out in 2017.

I'm not qualified to be a food critic, but I did eat a lot of food and I do have opinions. So here are my top 20 favorites, the ones that are accessible, affordable *and* delicious enough that I went there numerous times during the year. My list of favorites is mostly down to how many times I went there, with a little fudging.

Favorites:
Tumble 22
New Fortune Chinese
Ziggy's Kielbasa House
Hopdoddy
Deckhand Oyster Bar
Texas Roadhouse
Michi Ramen
Jinya Ramen
Chuy's
Jack Allen's Kitchen
Kura Revolving Sushi
Vera Cruz
Kerbey Lane
Flyrite Chicken


I also kept track of where I ate lunch this year, and these are my favorites, based on how often I ate there. It's not just quality of food, here, but also closeness to work, where I'm usually eating lunch.

Lunch Favorites:
Raising Cane's
Torchy's Tacos
Popeye's
Mod Pizza
Wendy's
Smokey Mo's
Tarka
Culver's
McDonald's
Whataburger
Baguette House
Juarez Mexican Bakery
Firehouse Subs
Corner Bakery
P. Terry's
Fuddrucker's


Then there were the places that I ate at once or twice, due to either it's location (downtown especially) or price. This list is purely down to my favorites, where I'd eat if location and price were no object. About eight of these places (with the asterisks) were also on last year's list.

Rare Treats:
Antonelli's Cheese Shop
Batch*
Brewtorium
Charm Korean BBQ
Culinary Dropout
Din Ho Chinese BBQ
Estancia Churrascaria*
Franklin BBQ*
Gus's Fried Chicken*
Haymaker
Holy Roller*
Kemuri Tatsu-Ya*
Launderette
New Fortune Chinese
Pinthouse Pizza
Salt & Time
Snooze A.M.
Suerte
Terry Black's BBQ*
Texas Chili Parlor
Valentina's Tex-Mex*
Wiseguys

I haven't visited Colleen's Southern Kitchen, Loro, Peached Tortilla, Thai Kun, or Black Star Co-Op this year and I need to rectify that in 2020. Noble Sandwich and Hightower sadly closed, and Tyson's Tacos I won't visit because the owner is a giant Trump-loving douchebag on Twitter.

Here's a list of all the places I ate in New Orleans:
Cafe Du Monde (New Orleans)
Central Grocery (New Orleans)
Cochon (New Orleans)
Criollo (New Orleans)
Evangeline's (New Orleans)
Palace Cafe (New Orleans)
Pere Antoine (New Orleans)

No comments: