Monday, December 21, 2015

Best of 2015 - Food

Last year I ate out over 50 times. This year it was more like 250. I counted lunch and stuff too, though.

I'm not qualified to be a food critic, but I did eat a lot of food and I do have opinions. So here are my top 10 favorites, the ones that are accessible, affordable *and* delicious enough that I went there numerous times during the year. My list of favorites is mostly down to how many times I went there, with a little fudging (I went to Alamo Drafthouse a lot, but it's not really the food that drew me. Conversely, Kerbey Lane made the cut not because their food is amazing, but because 24 hours + wide variety = more visits)

Favorites:
  1. Torchy's Tacos
  2. Sushi Nini
  3. Noble Sandwich
  4. Kerbey Lane
  5. Chuy's
  6. Chi'Lantro
  7. Michi Ramen
  8. Mambo House
  9. Peached Tortilla
  10. Jack Allen Kitchen
I also kept track of where I ate lunch this year, and these are my favorites, based on how often I ate there. It's not just quality of food, here, but also closeness to work, where I'm usually eating lunch.

Lunch Favorites:
  1. Popeye's
  2. PizzaRev
  3. Smashburger
  4. Tarka
  5. Fork + Taco (or Torchy's again, Fork + Taco actually already closed)
Then there were the places that I ate at once or twice, due to either it's location (downtown especially) or price. This list is purely down to my favorites, where I'd eat if location and price were no object.

Rare Treats:
  1. Franklin Barbecue
  2. Gus's Fried Chicken
  3. Terry Black's BBQ
  4. Haymaker
  5. Lucy's Fried Chicken
  6. Odd Duck
  7. Salt & Time
  8. TNT Tacos & Tequila
  9. 24 Diner
  10. French Quarter Grille
In addition, while I ate out a lot this year, I also tried to cook more, and added several new recipes to my repertoire.

New Recipes:
  1. Chicken with Mushrooms
  2. Chili with Bacon & Beer
  3. Cajun Shrimp & Sausage Pasta
  4. Crockpot Carnitas
  5. Chicken Fried Steak
  6. Macaroni & Cheese
  7. Chicken Parmesan
  8. Baked Alfredo Ziti
  9. Brussels Sprouts Gratin
  10. Pork Chops & Rice

No comments: