Thursday, December 31, 2009

Best of 2009: Books

I had set a goal to read at least one book a month this year, and I managed it. Barely. Next year I want to read at least that many, hopefully more.

Favorite Book: The Kid by Dan Savage
1. The Kid by Dan Savage (Plume)
2. The Commitment: Love, Sex, Marriage, and My Family (Dan Savage)
3. The Road (Vintage Books)
4. Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life (Scribner)
5. The Great Derangement (Matt Taibbi)
6. A Feast For Crows (George R.R. Martin)
7. The Switch (HarperTorch)
8. Savage Season (Black Lizard)
9. Inside Straight HC (George R.R. Martin)
10. Dreams of My Father (Barack Obama)
11. Patriot Acts (Bantam)
12. Things I've Learned From Women Who've Dumped Me (Grand Central)
13. I Am America: And So Can You! (Warner Books)

4 comments:

Jim B. said...

What, no Peter and Max? (I haven't read it yet, either.)

Dan Savage is fantastic; I've never read his books, though. Guess I should start...

I did read The Great Derangement: Taibbi can be a bastard, but an entertaining one.
And Patriot Acts: I thought Rucka had gone as far as he could with Atticus. Wow, was I wrong.

Happy 2010, Mr. Lander.

Randy Lander said...

Nope, I'm pretty much off Fables at this point. For me, the book pretty much ended around #75, didn't really dig where it went from there so I decided to jump off.

And I recommend Dan Savage's books. I *love* his podcast, but the reason I started listening to it was because I heard him talking about his son DJ on This American Life. Much as I enjoy his frank (to put it mildly) and witty take on sex, his take on life is even more interesting reading.

Happy 2010 to you as well, Jim.

Leo McGovern said...

Hey Randy, what'd you think about "Patriot Acts"? I just ordered a dual copy of Keeper/Finder to try and sell folks who've been buying Stumptown, Criminal, Whiteout, things like that. The Kodiak line is quite the underrated series.

Randy Lander said...

Honestly, I wasn't crazy about it. I loved the first three Atticus Kodiak books, but they became increasingly ridiculous as time went on, and I liked seeing a semi-real take on bodyguarding.

Kodiak, super-assassin didn't really hold as much interest for me. It was a perfectly readable pot-boiler, but it isn't really what I wanted from the character. Not a criticism of Rucka's writing, just my personal tastes, really.