Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Orson Scott Card: Raving Lunatic

Courtesy of Chris Sims (via Tom the Dog), I see that Orson Scott Card's latest attempt at rationally explaining his completely nutbar ideas about homosexuality in general and gay marriage in particular are crazier than usual.

And here's the thing. As a responsible comic book store owner, I *have* to carry Ender's Game. A lot of my customers are excited about it, and honestly, I've bought stuff by writers who I know to have differing opinions from mine (pretty much anything by Chuck Dixon, at least). But... Card has reached a new level of crazy, a level I like to call Dave Sim crazy, where I feel dirty having even the barest association with him, even by selling his book.

So I think I've got a solution. I'm going to figure out what my profits are on the issues of Ender's Game, and when the miniseries is complete, I'm gonna write out a check to a Gay Rights charity here in Austin, and then I'm going to send a nice note to Mr. Card letting him know how much his work has helped to fund said charity. That seems a nice fuck you message that also happens to put some money in the hands of folks who need it.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Um, yeah, Randy, uh, couldn't that money be better put to use in your pocket?

I really think that Card would care less if you told him about it or not.

You have kids. Put it in an education savings account and let it grow interest for college.

Do what you want, of course, but Card isn't going to care any more about what you do. Seems a like a total waste of energy, friend.

Chris Hunter

M. Robert Turnage said...

Just curious as to what you do with the profits from your Cerebus books?

If you want to forgo the whole profits from the books account shennanigans and just go in together and make a donation in Card's name, I'm in. And I won't even spend money on the comics.

Randy Lander said...

Do what you want, of course, but Card isn't going to care any more about what you do. Seems a like a total waste of energy, friend.

Maybe... but honestly, the profits on Ender's Game aren't going to make or break me, and this is a cause I'd kind of like to give to anyway.

Just curious as to what you do with the profits from your Cerebus books?

Honestly, it hasn't been an issue, as we haven't sold Cerebus in years. Not for lack of carrying it... just a lack of interest. I didn't donate my money from Glamourpuss, though... honestly, Sim has gone from dangerous whack-job to pathetic delusional basket case in my eyes, so I pity him as much as anything else.

Maybe that's the tact I should be taking with Card, too. I dunno. I just kind of liked the idea of donating money earned from the sale of Card's work to a charity I know he'd hate.

Nate Southard said...

I applaud you idea, Randy. I wouldn't want to try balance out a decision like that from a retailer's point of view, but I think the way you've decided to handle it is great.

Jamie S. Rich said...

You're likely to get a lot more comments questioning this idea like what is already rolling in, to which I say, screw 'em. Do what's right for you. I applaud it!