Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Blog Update for May 2008

This is the latest monthly update to the right column of the blog, updating my favorite comics and TV for the previous month. The listings are alphabetical, not by rank of how much I liked them in comparison. My criteria for what makes the list is when I read them, not necessarily when they were published. This is basically also my own records of what I read/liked for the inevitable "End of Year" lists I feel like making.

It was another pretty good month for comics reading, at least for me. In addition to my top 20, there were another dozen books that easily could have been my picks of the month. First issues that almost made the cut include Firebreather Series #1, Dynamo 5 Annual #1 and Invincible Iron Man #1, and continuing series that fell just below the Top 20 included Proof #8, Uncanny X-Men #498, Grendel Behold The Devil #7, Incredible Hercules #117, BPRD 1946 #5, George R R Martins Wild Cards #2, Batman Death Mask #2, Dead Space #3 and Nightwing #144. In terms of publishers and single issues, my tastes were pretty varied this month. 4 Marvel, 4 DC, 3 Vertigo, 3 Dark Horse, 3 Image and then one each from Dabel Brothers, Oni Press and Boom! Studios. In terms of writers, I had 2 from Brian Wood, 2 from Jay Faerber, 2 from Abnett & Lanning (and one from Abnett & Edginton) and 2 from Chuck Dixon. I guess that's probably pretty close to my top four writers of the moment.

I decided that I liked the "10 good graphic novels a month" rule enough to keep it, and so after I read my 10, I read the first novel of the Song of Fire & Ice, Game of Thrones. I really liked it, more than I expected to, and will probably return to book two after I've read my 10 graphic novels for June.

If TV was thin in April, it was even thinner in May and will damn near vanish in June. However, I was really pleased with the season finales of 30 Rock, Lost and The Office, and I'm hoping that both How I Met Your Mother and Scrubs will come back stronger now that they don't have a strike to interfere with them (unless a SAG strike happens.) At this point, I have two shows left on the air: the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, which continues to be a lot of fun to watch with my daughter, and Battlestar Galactica. That one I'll watch until the end given that I've invested so much time on it and the end is relatively near, but I'm increasingly worried about the erratic quality of the episodes and the direction the show has gone in, and I doubt very much I'll be picking up the rest of the DVDs unless the ending is better than I'm expecting. June should bring the return of Burn Notice on USA, and I'm not sure when, but sometime this summer, we should get more Always Sunny in Philadelphia and maybe (?) the final season of The Shield.

No huge additions to the RSS feeds this month, just two artist blogs for Cameron Stewart and Thom Zahler and fun, borderline goofy post-apocalyptic comic based on Rock Band called My Name Is Might Have Been.

No comments: