Sunday, December 19, 2021

Best of 2021 - Food

The last couple years, whether dine-in or takeout, I ate out a little less than 300 times. This year, combining takeout and dine-in both, I hit just over 300.

These are my top 20 favorites, the ones that are accessible, affordable *and* delicious enough that I went there numerous times during the year. 

Favorites:
  1. Jewboy Burgers (my new favorite burger place, if it was closer to me I'd eat there every week, as is it's at least one a month on average)
  2. Julie's Noodles (new favorite soup dumplings place)
  3. Ziggy's Kielbasa (if this was closer, I'd eat there more, but I still manage a trip at least once a month on average)
  4. Tumble 22 (now that this is closer, I eat there every month at least)
  5. Jack Allen's Kitchen (really delicious local southern comfort food)
  6. Texas Roadhouse (best affordable steak, great sides, delicious bread)
  7. Hopdoddy (pricey but always good)
  8. Tarka (surprisingly good fast casual Indian food)
  9. Torchy's Tacos (doesn't travel well, but I still like it in-restaurant, especially the queso)
  10. Mod Pizza (build your own pizzas, a favorite of my son)
  11. Chuy's (Yes, I'm a basic bitch for tex-mex)
  12. Chi'Lantro (really good Korean/Mexican fusion)
  13. Wiseguys (Chili dogs and beef sandwiches, Chicago style)
  14. Mikey V's Tacos (my Georgetown go-to for Birria tacos)
  15. Carabao Express (fast casual Filipino food and decent Birria tacos)
  16. Mighty Fine Burgers (solid fast casual burgers, local chain)
  17. Snooze A.M. (not close to me, only open until mid-afternoon, or I'd go there a lot more)
  18. Smokin Beauty (pretty good Vietnamese/BBQ mash-up, close to the house, I should eat here more often)
  19. Pinthouse Pizza (close to the store and really good, I'm surprised I don't go here more)
  20. Michi Ramen (I really love this place, but they're only to-go post-pandemic, and it's just not as good that way)
                                    I also kept track of where I ate lunch this year, and these are my favorites, based on how often I ate there. It's not just quality of food, here, but also closeness to work, where I'm usually eating lunch. My plan for this year was to avoid major fast food chains as much as possible, by which I mean McDonald's, Burger King, and Subway. I had KFC and Wendy's one or two times, but otherwise I mostly managed. 

                                    Lunch Favorites:
                                    1. P. Terry's (my favorite quick burger place, and it's a local chain)
                                    2. Raising Cane's (just chicken strips and delicious sauce)
                                    3. Popeye's (my favorite fast food fried chicken by a mile, and I love their sides)
                                    4. Whataburger (I don't *love* Whataburger, but it's in the parking lot of my store, so...)
                                    5. Smokey Mo's (see above about Whataburger, it's in the same complex for lunch)
                                    6. Culver's (good burgers, good cheese curds)
                                    7. Arby's (curly fries. That is all)
                                    8. Vera Cruz (really good tacos, near the store, lunch only)
                                    9. Juarez Mexican Bakery (good, cheap tex-mex, located near the store, but closes early)
                                                                                        Then there were the places that I ate at once or twice, due to either it's location (downtown especially) or price, or because it's too new to have tried many times. This list is purely down to my favorites, where I'd eat if location and price were no object. 

                                                                                        Last year this list included Charm Korean BBQ and Gus's Fried Chicken, both of which I didn't get to this year, the former because price/time, the latter because of terrible parking downtown. And Luna's Tacos and Lechuza Birria both dropped off, the former because I kind of soured on it, the later because I found Birria much closer to me. I still didn't manage Texas Chili Parlor again, but I did get back to Kemuri Tatsu-Ya and Estancia.

                                                                                        Rare Treats:
                                                                                        1. Kemuri Tatsu-Ya (my favorite restaurant in Austin)
                                                                                        2. Franklin BBQ (my parents get it for Christmas, and sometimes I'll put together an outing with a group of friends, order ahead of time, and we eat at my place. The line is for tourists or special occasions only)
                                                                                        3. Estancia Churrascaria (Brazilian all you can eat meat parade, with a killer salad bar)
                                                                                        4. Cork & Barrel (upscale Irish pub food in Round Rock, pricey but delicious)
                                                                                        5. Cosa Costa (delicious Brazilian bakery in Leander)
                                                                                        6. French Quarter Grille (super good Cajun food)
                                                                                        7. Peached Tortilla (Great Korean/Tex-Mex fusion, wish it was closer to me)
                                                                                        8. Valentina's Tex-Mex (so far south, sells out often, but when I can manage it, it's always amazing)
                                                                                        9. Hopfield's (really good French lunch place, I get a Jambon-Beurre from here once or twice a year because it's south of me and has little to no parking)
                                                                                        10. Kenney Fort Irish Pub (really good pub food in Round Rock)
                                                                                        11. Liberty Barbecue (maybe my favorite chicken fried steak, only on Thursdays)
                                                                                        12. Mouton's (really good Cajun place, but way up in Leander)
                                                                                        13. Salty Sow (fantastic happy hour)
                                                                                        14. Stiles Switch BBQ (good BBQ, maybe best sides)

                                                                                                No comments: